Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Atlas Got Writers Cramp

From Reason Magazine, could it be that Atlas Shrugged will finally be made into a film? And with Angelina Jolie as Dagny Taggart, no less...

There's a long story behind the aborted attempts to bring the more-than-1000-page book to screen, largely the result of author Ayn Rand's desire for total script control. Its size is also an impediment; as the blog's author hints, one would expect John Galt's almost unbelievably long climactic speech (56 pages in my paperback copy) to not quite all make it into the film.

As much as I loved the book (and yes, I'm aware of the problems of Rand's philosophy), I think I'd be more interested in a film about Rand herself. She was a larger-than-life character (will might be a better word), her time complete with immense achievement and a fascinating personality, flaws and all.

No comments: